Monday, May 3, 2010

How Robyn's Gift was started









The idea for Robyn’s Gift has a special story. I had two important people in my life pass away within three months of each other. My good friend and fellow quilter, Harriet Pankratz, died of Breast Cancer in June 2007. That September, my cousin, Carol Bleecker, passed away from Ovarian Cancer. Both women were tenacious in their efforts involving cancer research and prevention. They both volunteered for testing new chemotherapy and radiation procedures. Carol took her passion a step further and advocated on Capitol Hill for there to be more funding legislated for Ovarian Cancer research, specifically to develop a blood test that would measure cancer markers.

Although Harriet and Carol had never met, they changed my life in a profound way. Harriet rekindled my love of quilting. She introduced me to a book titled “More Quilts for Baby” by Ursula Reikes, from which I draw my inspiration . I enjoyed many years quilting with Harriet, being her friend as she battled breast cancer for over 10 years. When I heard the news about Carol, I was shocked. Her battle lasted a short 18 months.

As I watched both women slip away from me I couldn't shake the feeling of helplessness. What could I do to help relieve the trauma these women were going through? When Carol decided to start hospice, I decided to get sewing. I made her an inspirational quilt using fabric printed with the teal ovarian cancer ribbon, and I used a hydrangea flower print knowing how much she liked hydrangeas. When I presented Carol her quilt, she threw off her flimsy hospital blanket and immediately wrapped herself up. She then declared that in lieu of flowers she wanted her urn wrapped with her quilt. I knew then that she loved her quilt. She remained bundled in her quilt till she passed. Carol's mother now keeps the quilt as a reminder of Carol's strength and spirit.

As I drove away from Carol’s funeral service, I wanted to do something in my friends’ memory. I realized that there are others like me in a constant state of grief and helplessness, wanting to help but not knowing how. I came up with the idea of starting a non-profit organization to sew personalized lap quilts intended for people fighting life threatening illnesses. Each quilt would have a quilted border of inspirational words to draw strength, hope and love from. The goal being to help find a cure by sending my profits to medical research. Thus, Robyn’s Gift was born.

Please share my story with other survivors and their families so that they may have a quilt to keep them warm. Together we can make a difference.

My prayers are with you,
Robyn Shiely

"Robyn's Gift" mission is to provide relief from the trauma associated with life threatening illnesses, one quilt at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Robyn I am so excited that you have the blog up and rolling and got a little teary reading your first post! I can't wait to see what comes next!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete